To celebrate Pride Month, I’m showing you how to build an easy rainbow recipe. These chocolate brownies shaped like a cloud topped with a chewy Airheads Rainbow are delicious. Plus, the chocolate brownie stands up. So cute and structurally sound! To see how to build it, check out my video tutorial above.
I tested various recipes/methods/tools and I got the best results when I used a Nordic Ware cake pan, a cloud cookie cutter with a flat base, Betty Crocker’s Fudge Brownie mix, and homemade buttercream icing. I’ll explain why I chose these tools and ingredients below.
Here’s a list of some of the items you’ll need:
Firstly, I’ve wanted to upgrade my cake pan for years. But my overflowing cabinets packed with kitchen gadgets tells me otherwise. If you’re smiling, you get it. But, I was also tired of getting unevenly baked treats. Yuck! After much deliberation, I bought the Nordic Ware 9×13-inch Natural Aluminum Commercial Cake Pan with Lid (link above). Before I added the chocolate brownie mixture, I lined the pan with parchment paper and greased it. When it came out of the oven, the brownie was evenly baked with a consistent thickness. Finally! This is particularly important because in order for the cloud-shaped brownie to stand up properly, it needs to have an even thickness so that it doesn’t wobble back and forth. I love this new pan so much, I finally downgraded my old cake pan. Plus, the lid is an added bonus because it’s strong enough to stack stuff on top of it while the brownies are chilling in the fridge.
Originally, I was going to shape the clouds freestyle by using a pairing knife. Luckily, I found an amazing cloud-shaped cookie cutter on Amazon. This specific cookie cutter is flat on the bottom with curvy edges on the top and sides. This flat base is necessary for the brownie to stand up vertically. Plus, it’s so much faster to use a cookie cutter than to carve every curve and edge. Time saver!
Since I want to spend more time celebrating Pride Month instead of in the kitchen, I searched for an easy yet delicious chocolate brownie. Using Betty Crocker’s Fudge Brownie mix was a perfect solution. These rich chocolate brownies are very dense, which helps maintain clean curves when I cut through it with the cloud cutter and it held its shape when I propped it up.
Homemade Buttercream Icing
As for the buttercream icing, I tried using store bought but I needed a thicker consistency to secure the Airheads Rainbow in place. So, I decided to make it at home (recipe below). To mimic the sky, I used Wilton’s Sky Blue Icing Gel. I normally use liquid food coloring, but I didn’t want to thin out the buttercream consistency. Plus, I just love the soft blue hue- it really does look like the sky! I used a Wilton Featherweight 8-inch icing bag and No. 129 Wilton flower-icing tip. If you don’t have these, you can also use a plastic bag and snip off the tip. The piping won’t look as nice, but it’ll do the trick. Lastly, I added the chewy Airheads Rainbow Berry candy.
Watch my video tutorial below to see how easy it is to make cloud-shaped brownies topped with a rainbow at home.
Subscribe and Follow Me
For more fun videos and recipes SUBSCRIBE to the Chewable Structures YouTube channel and check out the website.
Thanks for building with me today. See you next week!
*** All products purchased by me. Please note that all my links should be considered affiliate links, which helps support this content. Thanks for your support!
- 1 package Rainbow Berry Airheads
- 1 box Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix (519g)
- ½ cup vegetable Oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 drops Wilton Sky Blue Food Coloring Gel
- Watch the video instructions here: https://youtu.be/SnVcf6rR1Js
- For the full list of tools used, refer to the original blog post: http://bit.ly/2tnaZ9X
- Line a 9x-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spray it with vegetable oil.
- Prepare Betty Crocker’s Fudge Brownie mix according to the instructions on the box.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the parchment lined pan. When it comes out of the oven, let it completely cool.
- To make make the buttercream frosting, mix the butter and icing sugar until combined. Add the vanilla extract and beat. Using a toothpick, add 1 drop of the sky blue icing gel at a time. The gel is very concentrated so be careful. Add frosting to piping bag with a No. 129 Wilton flower-icing tip.
- Use the cloud-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 8 brownies.
- Cut the Airheads Rainbow in half. Use your fingers to hold both sides of the Airheads candy so that it resembles a rainbow shape. (Watch video instructions). Dip the edges into the buttercream frosting and lightly press it onto the center for the brownie so that it forms an outline.
- Pipe the buttercream frosting onto the brownie and add the Airheads Rainbow.
- Lift up the brownie so that it's resting on the flat edge. The cloud-shaped brownie should be vertical.
Easy Rainbow Recipe: Rainbow Chocolate Brownie with Buttercream Frosting