I’m a firm believer that the difference between a baby shower fruit tray versus a regular fruit tray is the cuteness factor!
In 15 minutes, you can build this colorful fruit tray featuring Fuyu persimmons, green grapes, red-flesh apples, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Plus, check out the snowman's adorable top hat made of green grapes.
If you can stab fruit with toothpicks, then you can build this edible snowman!
To maximize the cuteness level of your baby shower food, I’m sharing my tips and tricks so your colorful fruit tray tastes great and your snowman doesn’t topple over!
Make sure to check out my recipe video at the end of this post to see my hack so you can quickly build the green grape hat.
If you’re looking for more creative baby shower food, you can easily build this watermelon fruit train using cookie cutters and toothpicks. For tech savvy moms, this 3-D watermelon camera with a flip out screen actually rotates! And, for adventure seekers, try sewing together blueberries to build a watermelon Golden Gate Bridge.
You can click on the links below to jump straight to the section you need.
Why you should make this recipe
- A creative way to build the snowman’s hat. You only need green grapes and toothpicks. Watch the recipe video.
- Easily substitute persimmon for other fresh fruit (oranges, small apples, grapefruit, or any firm fruit that you can carve into three small spheres.)
- Switch up your baby shower fruit tray using these regular household items as trays: cutting board, baking sheet, large platter.
- Customize the fruit platter with your favorite fruits or baby shower theme.
- Add fun fruit dip: Greek yogurt with honey or pre-made chocolate dip.
What is a baby shower?
Tip 1: Find Large Fuyu Persimmons
I spent 5 minutes rifling through the pile of persimmons at the market until I found large, flat persimmons. That’s right, I’m THAT person! But it’s worth it because it’s easier to stack up the persimmons when they are balanced in weight and size.
Tip 2: Save The Smallest Blueberries For The Facial Features and Buttons
Dig through your blueberry pile and set aside the smallest blueberries for the snowman’s eyes, nose, smile, and buttons. If you’re stuck with large blueberries, you’ll only have enough room for the two eyes and maybe a nose. Make sure your snowman gets a big smile!
Tip 3: Prepare In Advance
The night before your party, prewash and dry the fruit with paper towel. Then, store the fruit in an airtight container. These extra steps help prevent mold growth. The day of your event, you can quickly slice the apple and assemble the fruit platter. If you want to assemble the entire fruit platter on the cake stand the night before, then just wrap the fruit structure with plastic wrap.
Note: I would not make this fruit tray more than one day in advance otherwise your fruits will shrivel and your apple will turn brown.
Fuyu persimmons are ideal as the snowman’s body. Why? They’re firm so you can stack them up vertically without worrying about wobbling or crumbling. Plus, the blueberry eyes, nose and smile really pop against the persimmon's deep orange skin.
The snowman’s top hat made of green grapes is the clever hack you need! Green grapes are perfect for the snowman’s top hat. By slicing the grape lengthwise, you’re able to skewer the grapes together so there’s a base and top section of the hat. It took me a few design iterations, but I love how it turned out! Watch the recipe video to see how I cut the grapes and construct the hat using my trusty toothpicks.
Red-flesh apples still look and taste great for a few hours after you cut them. White-flesh apples, like red delicious or granny smith, tend to brown after you cut them (unless you drizzle lemon juice on top). Keep in mind, red-flesh apples are a bit tart, so if your guests have a sweet tooth check out the fruit dip section.
- Bite-sized fruits (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, green grapes) add depth and color to fruit trays. They’re also easy to cram onto plates. The more the merrier!
How to make baby shower fruit tray
Check out the full recipe instructions at the bottom of this post. In general, there are only 3 steps. Here you go!
Step 1: Find a tray or platter. Since my snowman is round, I’m using this round Ateco Revolving Cake Stand as a tray. I love the classic white base. Plus, it’s fun to spin the fruit tray around! To protect the metal surface, remember to stretch plastic wrap over the top surface before you add the fruit. Don’t have a cake stand? See the Substitutions section for different tray options.
Step 2: Assemble the persimmon snowman. Then, add it to the centre of your tray.
Step 3: Add the remaining fruit. Surround the snowman with the remaining fruit so your eye is immediately drawn to the fruit snowman.
Dip for fruit tray
- Greek yogurt with honey: I love the combo of greek yogurt with a dash of honey. If you add little bowls to the serving table, your baby shower guests can even make their own yogurt fruit bowls!
- Pre-made chocolate dip: To satisfy your sweet tooth, I like to grab pre-made chocolate dip. Most grocery stories carry chocolate dip or spread. They might have caramel dipping options too! Caramel and chocolate goes well with the tart red-flesh apple.
- Ateco Revolving Cake Stand (Amazon link): I LOVE this revolving cake stand since it raises your fruit platter above the other food on the table. This means your baby shower fruit tray really shines as a centre piece! Also, the cake stand base has a small footprint so you can squeeze in more yummy treats on your buffet table. It’s party time, so you gotta pack in your yummy treats!
- Toothpicks: use small toothpicks that are pointy on both sides. (Note: don’t use toothpicks that have one flat side.)
- Pairing knife: Use a sharp pairing knife to thinly slice the apples.
- Plastic wrap: Any type of plastic wrap works.
- Fruit substitutions: Instead of Fuyu persimmon, you can use oranges, small apples, grapefruit, or any firm fruit that you can carve into three small spheres.
- Equipment substitutions: As you can tell, I love my Ateco Revolving Cake Stand (Amazon link), but you can get creative with your tray options: cutting board, baking sheet, large platter.
Watch my recipe video
Try these recipes too!
Looking for more ideas for baby showers?
- Here’s my entire collection of baby shower food
- Watermelon fruit train that you can quickly build using cookie cutters and toothpicks. Choo choo!
- Watermelon camera. Yes, the flip out screen really works!
- Blueberry Eiffel Tower. Find out how it stays vertical!
- Watermelon Golden Gate Bridge for adventure seekers.
Subscribe to Chewable Structures
- SUBSCRIBE to my newsletter
*** All products purchased by me. Please note that all my links should be considered affiliate links, which helps support this content. Thanks for your support!
Snowman Baby Shower Fruit Tray Recipe
- 3 large Fuyu persimmons
- 12 small blueberries
- 6 large green grapes
Fruit Tray Ingredients
- 1 red-flesh apple (sliced)
- 2 Fuyu persimmons (sliced)
- 1 cup green grapes
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
Fruit Dip Ingredients (Optional)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup chocolate dip or spread (store bought)
- Ateco Revolving Cake Stand
- plastic wrap
Build the Snowman
- Sort through the blueberries and set aside 9 small blueberries for the snowman’s face (eyes, nose, smile) and 3 blueberries for the buttons.
- Remove the leaf on the persimmons.
- Vertically stack the persimmons and secure them in place with toothpicks.
- For the snowman’s face, use toothpicks to add the 9 small blueberries.
- For the snowman’s buttons, use toothpicks to add 3 small blueberries.
- For the top hat, cut 2 grapes lengthwise. Watch the recipe video to learn the simple hack to assemble the hat and anchor it to the persimmon.
Assemble the Baby Shower Fruit Tray
- Stretch plastic wrap over the the top surface of the cake stand.
- Add the fruit snowman to the center of the cake stand.
- Add the remaining fruit around the snowman. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge up to one day before serving. (Note: I would not make this fruit tray more than one day in advance otherwise your fruits will look weathered!
Fruit Tray Dip (Optional)
- Add honey to yogurt and stir. Add to small bowl and serve with the fruit tray.
Leave a Reply