Aren’t you tired of making a boring fruit salad? Instead, build this adorable watermelon fruit train equipped with honeydew and blueberry wheels. The freight cars are even stable enough to lug around blackberry and honeydew skewers. Throw away your old fruit salad recipe and hop on the watermelon fruit train. It’s leaving the platform and you don’t want to miss out.
WATCH MY RECIPE VIDEO BELOW to see how easy it is to have fun with your next fruit salad.
Ok, it’s TIME TO BUILD.
Tips On How To Make a Fun Fruit Salad
Tip 1: Throw Away Your Boring Fruit Salad Recipe
It’s ok. The trash can is right there. You can do it.
Tip 2: Get The Best Fruits You Can
Since there’s no dressing on this fun fruit salad, that means the fruit needs to be fresh. Look below and you’ll see what I mean. Check out those plump blueberries and sweet honeydew slices. Yum! They’re so fresh that I wouldn’t dare drown them in artifical sweetners or oils.
Tip 3: Get Cookie Cutters. Don’t Try To Use a Knife To Cut Shapes.
This recipe is super simple because we’re only using two cookie cutteres: a train and a small circle. Then, we’re fastening the wheels together using regular toothpicks. Save yourself the time and just use cookie cutters instead of trying to carve the train and wheels using a knife.
For the engine and freight cars, I’m using a train cookie cutter and the smallest round cookie cutter in Ateco’s cookie cutter set. I took a photo so that you can see see the relative size next to my thumb.
Things You Need To Build This Adorable Watermelon Fruit Train:
- Ann Clark Train Cookie Cutter ( 4-inches)
- Ateco Plain Edge Geometric Shapes Cutters in Graduated Sizes, Stainless Steel, 24 Pc Set
And, if you’re looking for more craft ideas and fun food for kids, check out my other recipe where I built a stackable gummy LEGO JELLO pyramid.
Remember to SUBSCRIBE to the CHEWABLE STRUCTURES YOUTUBE channel here. Enjoy and leave a comment below if you want me to build something specific. Thanks for building with me. See you next week!
* All products purchased by me. Please note that all my links should be considered affiliate links, which help support this content. Thanks for your support!
Watermelon Fruit Train with Honeydew and Blueberry wheels
- 1 watermelon ½ inch thick slices
- 1 honeydew ¾ inch thick slices
- 1 cup blueberies
- 1 cup blackberries
Tools that you'll need:
- 1 train cookie cutter see blog for link
- 1 small cookie cutter see blog for link
- 18 to othpicks
- For the best visual instructions, watch the video tutorial here: https://youtu.be/q6J71vzy-hI
- Cut the watermelon into ½ inch thick slices.
- Cut the honeydew into ¾ inch thick slices. Using the smallest round Ateco cookie cutter, cut out the honeydew wheels and honeydew circles for the top of the freight car. Each engine/freight car needs 6 honeydew wheels (3 for each side).
- To build the engine, press the train cookie cutter into the watermelon. To install the wheel, push three toothpicks through the wheel sections of the watermelon. Add one slice of honeydew and one blueberry to either sides of the toothpick. The engine should be able to stand up.
- To build the freight car, press the train cookie cutter into the watermelon. Using a sharp pairing knife, cut the top and right sides off the engine. Now, it should look like a rectangle with wheels on the bottom. (Watch the video for a better visual reference. See link above). Add the wheels the same was as the engine. For the loads on top of the freight car, add a blackberry to the toothpick and place it on top of the car. Repeat the same step for the honeydew circles.
Get rid of your boring fruit salad recipe and build this fun watermelon fruit train. Choo-choo!