Are you looking for a Mother’s Day Dessert Idea? This chocolate cake topped with strawberry roses is an edible garden. Since my mom loves gardening and eating new desserts, this chocolate garden cake is a great Mother’s Day gift idea. All you need is Betty Crocker’s cake mix and icing, crushed OREO’s, pretzel rods, strawberries, blueberries and grapes. It’s so much fun to build this chocolate garden cake and it’s kid friendly.
WATCH THE FUN RECIPE VIDEO BELOW to see how to build this creative Mother’s Day Dessert Idea.
Check out the close up of this creative chocolate cake disguised as a garden! I crushed up OREO cookies to look like soil. And, I love that the planter box is made of pretzel rods.
I want to spend as much time as I can with my mom, so to speed things up a bit I’m using Betty Crocker’s Devil’s Food chocolate cake mix and chocolate icing.
*** All products purchased by me. Please note that all my links should be considered affiliate links, which helps support this content. Thanks for your support!
Mother's Day Dessert Ideas (Chocolate Garden & Strawberry Roses)
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix Betty Crocker
- 2 containers of chocolate icing Betty Crocker
- 10 Oreo cookies
- 20-25 pretzel rods
- 10 strawberries
- 10 skewers
- 20-25 green grapes
- Watch the video instructions: https://youtu.be/jn5Eyc5iS7c
- Make a 13” x 9” chocolate cake according to the instructions on the box. Let it cool.
- In the meantime, slide 2-3 green grapes on a skewer. Slide on the strawberry and carve the strawberry petals (watch the YouTube video above for instructions). Add a blueberry on top. Repeat this step for 9 more strawberry roses.
- Use the pretzel rod to measure how much chocolate cake goes inside the planter box.
- Use icing in between the layers and to cover the outside.
- Stack the pretzel rods vertically along the sides of the cake (do not stack pretzel rods on the top surface).
- Place the OREO cookies in a bag. Using a rolling pin, crush the cookies. Add cookie chunks to the top of the cake.
- Add the strawberry roses to the top of the cake.